Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Relationships.......

Is it possible? Does it already exist for some? Maybe? I think it does and I think it can. I think it is simple, I think it is attainable. In this though, don't confuse simple with easy. If it was easy everyone would have it, then it wouldn't really be worth it somehow. It would seem like going to Walmart to save a few pennies on toothpaste or that spindle of DVD-R's.

In a small discussion about relationships this weekend it was stated by a very beautiful young lady "that I just want it to be like it is in the beginning". I believe it is possible to attain. Which could make me either the eternal optimist or a hopeless romantic, but the realist part of me has to put some parameters on it first before deciding which one of those I am.....

These are in no particular order:

1. Two people that are willing to communicate no matter what.
2. Realistic expectations of each other.
3. Acceptance on many levels.
4. Honesty, even if it hurts or feels dangerous. If you can't communicate honestly you have no trust.
5. A mutual desire to be together doing the things that you love to do.
6. A plan-When life gets busy, you need to schedule the quality time to be together to not lose the things that brought you together.
7. Stubborness to keep it all together. Even when you have a plan, you update it, modify it only when mutually discussed, and don't give up until it is completed.
8. Don't cause hurt because you got hurt.

These are just a few parameters. Unfortunately, when we get to those places in a relationship where we are feeling unimportant, we get hurt and fear stands in our way. We usually make the slightest action mean something so totally negative that we react out of hurt and fear and become hurtful with our words. Hurtful words are the ones that you can't take back. They are said and the damage is done and you have no more control of the situation. We have all done this at some point in our life. I would bet it hasn't served any of you any better than me. We still do it when we get to that area of hurt and fear that starts it for each and every one of us. The only way to make it stop is to be accepting, understanding, and experience the best side of Love, by giving it away! There will always be people that aren't getting it, some will never get it, just don't let them drag you down, no matter how hard they try.

If anyone needs another perspective, feel free to drop me an email. I will respond as soon as possible. I would only ask you to understnad that my perspective and ideas are like a buffet, take what you can consume and leave the rest. I won't get my feelings hurt or judge you. Good luck and take care of yourself and your families.

3 comments:

  1. I agree - you've got to give it to get it. It does get harder to give when you hit that fear though. Unfortunately, the fear-part isn't any easier to navigate at 43 than it was when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! So nice to hear a man's perspective on what works in a relationship!

    ReplyDelete