Monday, October 31, 2016

Obese, Average or Skinny? Part I

I'm actually just a little outraged lately about all the negative judgment flying around regarding body type. I spend a lot of my time people watching. Everywhere I go I notice people. Their body type, how they dress, who they're with, what they're doing, etc. I try not to judge them for their personal choices and mostly I find myself appreciating their choices and sometimes I have to understand that I may not understand the "why" of their choice but as long as it brings no harm to others I can, at the very least appreciate their individualism and courage to be just that, an individual expressing themselves. 
 
So what I would like to talk about is this overwhelming amount of people publicly attacking the group of what most would describe as the more "fit" of the population. Accusing them of setting unrealistic standards for today's youth. Creating eating disorders and so on. I don't agree with it. An eating disorder can work either way. There are so many factors that go into what we see in society as body type. Some are naturally thin or slight built while others are larger in frame and content with all types in between. It's all based on genetics, emotion, personal drive, knowledge just to name a few. 
 
When the "judgment mill" cranks up we have nothing productive to work with. We put each side on the defense and it makes for a lot of hard feelings and no where to go but down.  Like when someone does accuse a fit person of setting unrealistic standards. First of all they may not even have a choice. Genetics. Secondly, maybe they feel better at that weight and shape. For example most of my family is heavy with an apple body type. I don't fell good when I put on weight so I try to stay fit by being busy with my body not overeating etc. that works for me.  While yet others are fine being heavy and it works for them. So why should anyone judge anyone for it? 
 
The bottomline is if you are happy and comfortable where your body is at, no health problems to be concerned with, then rock on!  You don't owe anyone an explanation for how you look.  If you don't like it yourself then change it as much as you can.  There are lots of answers and help out there.  We will all be happier if we stick to judging ourselves, working on what we want to change about ourselves to increase our own happiness.  
 
So go take on the next day, make a conscious effort to look at the other side of endless possibilities for that person you're passing judgement on, deal?  Trust me, you'll be happier and so will they if you just accept them for who and how they are when you see them.
 
Judgment may very well make the world go round and round, but it doesn't give it any growth.  I don't know about each and everyone of you reading this, but for me, I want to grow more and more each day.  Growth has given me peace of mind.  Just knowing that we are all unique, "Just like everyone else". Lol
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment