Sunday, March 6, 2016

My Friend Summer....

People come into our lives for a specific reason or reasons.  Some times it's years later before we realize the reason(s).  I also believe that animals come into our life for several reasons.  That is what this blog post is dedicated to, those animals that come into our lives.  More narrowly, dogs that come into our life, whether we are the pet owner, friend or just merely passing by for the moment.  

A dog is a little sneaky and maybe God planned it that way......  What I mean is who among us can resist a puppy, right?  They are so cute, cuddly and full of excitement that they just suck you in from the very beginning.  Then as they grow and mature they help us with all sorts of things, some of which we had no idea that they could actually help with.  Some things that are totally unforeseen events.  While others, we would have called you crazy, if you told us in advance "that your dog can help with that?"  It's true though, most every dog makes any situation better.  They are happy to see you, sniff you, go places with you at a moments notice.  They protect us, love us and even cherish the time they have to spend with us.. The joy and laughter produced by a dog just being there can't be imagined by anyone that has never experienced it.  

Today has been a rough day (March 5, 2016).  I lost a dear friend.  She was a beautiful yellow Labrador Retriever, named Summer.  Although, her name could have been "Shadow", lol.  

My girlfriend introduced me to Summer in July of 2015.  It was obvious right away that she was one of the sweetest dogs I had ever met.  She would come up, look at you right square in the eye and just adore her time with you.  As my relationship progressed with my girlfriend, so did my relationship with Summer.  After moving in with the both of them, I gladly took on and shared the responsibilities of feeding, loving on and walking her.  Some of my best times with Summer were on our walks together.  I always described her as the opposite of a "barn sour horse".  She was always excited to go on a walk, would even run down the street going out.  When the first sign of returning home would reveal itself, she would start pouting like the big dog she was!  Hanging her head low and walking noticably slower.....lol. Then we would have the one way conversation like a dad talking to his pouting child...you know like "Now you can't pout." "No one is going to want to take you on walks if you pout".  She was frustrating at times, like we all can be, but she was always a source of joy and happiness for all that knew her.  If I was kicking back watching tv she would always either come up and put her chin on my leg or especially if my legs were crossed, she would walk under my leg and lift it off of the other so that it would be resting on her when she laid down.  

Her excitement for the things she loved was obvious until the very end.  She loved people.  She wanted everyone to know that she loved them.  Even in her last hours, she had several around her loving her, but if you weren't there, she would come find you.  She would always do a quick little spin to the left just before you put her food down for her and just when she realized she was going for a W A L K.  Lol. She was a gamer though.  That dog was so smart and she would game with a person and they'd never know it.  My poor girlfriend would have to struggle to put her collar and leash on her for her walk.  I made it clear to this adorable four legged little girl right away that we weren't playing that game....lol. I would sit down, hold the collar all the way open with my hands and she would walk up and place her head through it.  We would go for our walk sometimes short and sometimes pretty long, it just depended on how she seemed to be doing on the walk(and the level of pouting, of course). 

Summer, you were an amazing lover, caretaker and friend.  I only knew you a short time, but you touched my heart so deeply!  I love you little girl, you'll always be in my heart and on my mind for all that you gave me!  I miss you already.  Have a wonderful time always, tell Kona I said hi, he was a great puppy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment